BitLocker is a full disk high encryption feature included in Windows that allows you to encrypt all the contents and add password protect of your removable storage devices. BitLocker is available in the Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. It also is available in Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows 8.
How BitLocker works?
Basically, BitLocker allows you to encrypt a USB drive and control access with a password. Without the password, the USB Flash drive is useless. You will then be asked for the password, and upon entering it you can read and write to the drive as you normally would.
How to Turn On BitLocker for Your Removable Drive and Encrypt it
- Open File Explorer, once you insert your USB Flash drive, Right-Click on it and select the Turn on BitLocker from the context menu. See image below
- When the BitLocker Drive Encryption wizard appear, you will need to check the “Use a password to unlock the drive” checkbox, Then type the password and click next.
- Now will you have to choose where you want to save the recovery key If you forget your password, you can use your recovery key to access your drive again, however with Windows 8 you can also backup your recovery key to your Microsoft account, which is the safest option also i chose to do. just a second and you will see this message "Your recovery key has been saved."Then click next.
- Now you must to choose whether your drive is new or it's already in use, Then click next. as shown in image
- Of course, now you can click the Start encrypting button.
- once the encryption is complete, you will see a confirmation dialog box and the icon drive will change.
How to Unlock USB drives with BitLocker
- Now your USB Flash Drive has been BitLocker-protected so when you connect the BitLocker encrypted drive you will get a warning saying "Unlock Drive this drive is BitLocker-protected". Click on it.
- Type your password and click on the Unlock button.
- If you're encrypting a removable data drive (such as a USB flash drive), you can't save that recovery key on this removable media.
- BitLocker requires Windows 7 or 8.
That’s it. feel free to ask us in comments below